Boosting immunity is very important in this time of COVID 19 crisis. It plays a very crucial role in dealing with this. While we are at home, there are certain things which we can practice to boost our immunity.
Modification in Diet and Hydration-
- Eat vegetables and fruits rich in Ascorbic acid such as Amla, Lemon, Orange, Beta carotene like carrots, green leafy vegetables and other vitamins.
- Vitamin D plays a major role in strengthening one’s immunity such as egg yolks and mushrooms.
- Eat protein rich foods like egg, milk, cheese, fish etc. In minerals Zinc helps in immune system and metabolism function.
- Foods rich in zinc are- cashews, pumpkin seeds, chickpeas, etc. Foods rich in omega 3 & 6 fatty acids are a good immunity boosters like walnut, spinach, sunflower oil, corn etc.
- There are several spices that help in enhancing immunity like garlic, ginger, Basel leaves, turmeric and Black cumin.
- Fermented food and probiotics like Yoghurt, Yakult strengthen the digestive tract and immunity.
- Drinking 8- 10 glasses of water daily is must. You can also try drinking different juices of fruits and vegetables to stay hydrated.
People with any underlying medical conditions should eat according to the diet prescribed by the doctor.
Exercise regularly– Exercise daily to improve metabolism and body immunity. At least exercise for 30- 45 minutes regularly according to your stamina. As you can’t hit the gym right now, look out for some workout videos from some good instructors.
Avoid smoking, drugs, drinking alcohol– If you are young or old and do not engage in activities which harms the body like smoking, taking drugs or alcohol ,your immunity will be strong and chances of infection will be less as these activities affect our body organs in harmful way.
Relax your mind- As there is lot of crisis happening around us, we are consuming lot of stressful news and are glued to our social media, so it is very important for us to de-stress ourselves and relax our minds. Because of lot of stress, our body releases cortisol hormone and a lot of it can result in harmful effect on our body which makes us susceptible to infection. So, a good way is to meditate. You can do so by following instructions of experts on this through their videos. Spend time doing productive work with family, play games with them, do activities which makes you relax like trying new dishes, doing craft work or learn new things.
Take sleep properly- Proper sleep has direct impact on the immunity as it helps in boosting brain activity and functioning of different body organs. Sleeping for at least 7-8 hours is a great way to build immunity.
So, try these and keep yourself strong and healthy in this crisis.
She is post-graduate in Home science, PG-Diploma holder in Dietitics & Food services and Bachelor in Education (B.Ed.)
Information…thanks for such a good article.
Wonderful article written.